Wednesday, February 26, 2014

the plague

I feel like I'm turning back into one of those every now and then bloggers. I don't want that, but hear me out, my reasoning is legit. Too legit to quit. On Thursday morning, I woke up at 6:15 to get ready for my day. I'd be making my once a week 45 minute commute to true adult socialization; see: work, also see: office. As I begin my morning routine, I realize I have a headache. Who wakes up with one? Not me and not to mention I have had ZERO since I started eating clean. And this wasn't just your average headache, this was the holy mother f'n grail of headaches. Awesome. I'm standing in the bathroom after showering, which in most cases is a cure-all for waking up feeling like shit. Nope. This is the part where the toilet and I became close friends for a minute. The only thing worse than being sick is being sick when you still have to be a grown up and the only worse than that is being sick when you still have to be a grown up AND a parent. I forced myself to finish getting ready, even if it meant throwing my hair in a pony tail with some mascara and lip gloss. I got the kids up and ready and out of the house on time. I start downing water like it's my job. I get to work, feeling crappy but slowly better. Lunch time rolls around and I'm able to force some food down. I skipped dinner and this brings us to about 3 am Friday morning. Insert my 6 year old screaming at the top of her lungs. Awesome. She has a headache, something she hasn't ever dealt with before. We cuddle up on the couch together after some meds and go back to sleep. Then we both wake up feeling terrible. Here. We. Go. I failed to mention that Shon has been sick with a fever, chills, cough the whole week up to this. So now we are 3/4 down for the count in the household. Tay has a fever, cough and headache. I have no fever, but a headache and cough, with a side of nausea. I'm going to try and speed this up because, really, who wants to listen to how sick one family can be. Saturday morning rolls around and Tris wakes up sick. Puking and fever. S had to work til about lunch time and as shitty as I was feeling, I had to be strong for my babies. Up I go. Water, coffee, meds, shower. Check, check, check and check! We vegged out all day and we've been on the mend since. It's been terrible and THAT is why I haven't blogged. The struggle was real.

Luckily Wednesday, prior to all the nastiness, I had made a gargantuan pot of soup, which came in handy since I couldn't didn't want to cook.

Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup

  • chicken (honestly forgot to measure out how much I used, but I would say about 1.5 lb, MAYBE 2)
  • chicken broth (the lowest sodium you can find) I did 5 or 6 cups and 1 cup of water, I can't remember
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes NO SODIUM
  • 1-2 small onion, chopped
  • 1-2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • 1 can of corn NO SODIUM or frozen corn will work too
  • about 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • seasonings (oregano, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne)
optional: sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips

I sauteed the peppers, onions and garlic in a pan for just a minute or two, until soft. Then dumped it, along with everything else in a crock pot. Chicken can be raw or you can use cooked or rotisserie. As far as the seasonings, I did about 1 half a tbsp of oregano then did the other stuff to taste. You can also cut back on the broth if you want a thicker soup/stew. Cook on high for about 4 hrs or on low for 6-8.

ENJOY!!

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS? IT'S HUMMMPPPPP DAYYYY. WOO HOO. 
Or #WCW, if you are into that sort of thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks for stopping by my blog!