Tuesday, March 25, 2014

tonsillectomy - the background

Another snowy spring day here in Indiana. Wait what? Over it. And apparently getting sick at the worst possible times is common in this household. I mean my daughter is only having surgery Thursday and I don't have a mile long list of things I need to get done or anything.

No biggie, immune system. Don't worry about it.

Surgery for what you might ask? Tonsillectomy.
I'm going to go all mom-blog on you and document our experience.
You have been warned.

WHY TAKE THEM OUT?
This is a very debated topic among people. To take them out or to leave them. Have you had your tonsils out? Have your children? I did when I was younger than her. I remember certain things, but don't remember the recovery part. My parents said I did great though. Her tonsils are so big that they almost meet. Can you image not having a clear airway? She has had strep throat so many times. I, on the other hand, had never had strep throat until the first time she had it and I caught it. I'll pretty much get whatever my kids have, because when they are sick they get extra love and cuddles. #duh She is sick a lot in general. When we switched pediatricians back in December, her new doctor took one look at her throat and immediately referred her to see an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat). No guarantees or promises that the ENT would want to remove them. Saw that doctor in January and he scheduled it that day. She snores. Boyyyy does she snore. Sometimes she wakes herself. I did too, so loud my parents could hear me in the basement and be on the top floor. Yep. Tay isn't that bad. She has never had a sleep study, but is not a solid sleeper. Slight case of sleep apnea? Maybe, I don't know. Wakes up in the middle of the night. Tosses and turns a lot. Did I mention she snores? She, unknowingly, makes these awful noises. These are done while awake. It's like she is trying to clear her airway. I wish I had a sound bite of it. Not really. It's not cute. I'm ready for her to be able to breath better, have relief, hopefully sleep better and not get sick as much. I wish we could just fast forward to a month post-op.

So that is our story. That is what I am currently 100% wrapped up in and thinking about.
Please say a little prayer or whatever you do. Keep her in your thoughts.
And me. Wine is accepted. 





2 comments:

  1. Aww, wishing you girls all the best and a quick recovery for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Thanks for stopping by my blog!